We did a little staycation this last weekend in SLC. It’s amazing how fun something like that can be.
We decided to make it a trip of trying new things. Aside from walking around Gateway and City Creek, everything else was a first for us.
- We stayed at a nice hotel in the ghetto that required us to walk past the homeless shelter to get home every night. That was a little scary, but really the only downside to the entire trip.
- We went to Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and instead of getting a caramel apple like we usually would, we got a cashew caramel bear and a macadamia nut caramel bear. They were good, but more expensive than if we had shared an apple. Oh well. Here’s to new things.
- We hiked Ensign Peak: very, very slowly. I enjoyed imagining Brigham Young on the very same peak making a layout of their new city. Cool stuff.
- We walked around Trolley Square. Don’t people get shot there or something? I think that’s why I’ve never been. We didn’t get shot, but we did get some delicious samples in Williams Sonoma (who knew?)
- We had lunch at The Pie – underground hole in the wall pizza place right next to University of Utah. Instead of getting a BBQ pizza like we would usually choose, we got the Wise Guy pizza – basil, goat cheese, tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette reduction, chicken, artichoke hearts and pure deliciousness.
- We watched the BYU tournament game in our hotel (not new, but oh well).
- We watched Gravity in our hotel room. I never want to go to space.
- We ate a meal at the Cheesecake Factory. We’ve had cheesecake to go before, but never a meal. We waited about 70 minutes and for the first time ever, shared an entrée (orange chicken and rice instead of chicken and mashed potatoes like we’d usually choose). It was tasty and covered with pea pods. Poor allergic husband. They were easy to remove though, and he didn’t have any reactions.
- Then we got a slice of cheesecake to share – banana cream. This was the best part of the whole trip. I don’t like cheesecake, but Cheesecake Factory does something different. It is sooooooo good.
|Those bright lights against the building way in the background say Cheesecake Factory. We kept forgetting to take a picture until we were too far away.|