Friday, February 24, 2012

Leggings: Pants, or Not?

BYU made this poster a couple years ago. It hung in the Wilkinson Student Center for awhile, and now I think it's by the Honor Code Office.




If you signed your name to an honor code, promising that you would keep your hemlines to the knee...then you shouldn't be surprised or make a big deal when someone calls you out for going back on your word.  If you don't like it, go to a different school and give someone else who is willing to abide by the honor code a chance to come to BYU. We all signed the code at BYU, yet it's Taboo to bring up violations unless you work in the testing center. Even then, with the recent skinny jeans fiasco at BYU-Idaho, I would guess even the monitoring from the testing center might die down a bit.

 If you claim that leggings are pants and therefore the "dress" you're wearing is a shirt, then I hope you don't wear that kind of outfit to church---last I checked it isn't appropriate for women to wear pants to church. If you're wearing your leggings as leggings or tights, then just make sure your hemline is long enough and you're square. Seems easy to me.

My sister made a good point: maybe we could just paint our legs and say we're wearing pants or leggings so our hemline doesn't matter. Right?

I'm not saying the kid should have written that infamous note, but I'm just saying I think it was brave. I think it would be cool if more people who are actually in a position to give reminders about the honor code, did.

In my opinion, leggings are not pants.  If they are pants, then they should be able to be treated as pants in all situations. If they are pants, then all kinds of pants (jeans, work pants, casual pants) should be able to be replaced by leggings and worn without a second thought.  I can't imagine wearing a shirt tucked into your leggings they way you might tuck a shirt in to a pair of jeans or casual pants.  That would just be scary.

So, that's my opinion.

What's yours?  Use the poll on the right side of my blog to give me your vote! The votes are anonymous, so I won't know (or care) if you disagree with me.  I don't care what you wear--unless you are violating a code you signed your own name to. Then I start to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Leave me a message...I love them.